It’s been just over 2 months since I had any sun on my body since my holiday in Cyprus and I’m starting to feel a little pasty so I thought its time for the fake tan to come out. I thought ‘why not share my tanning routine with you’. I just feel so much more ‘me’ with a tan. I’ve been tanning now since I was about 20. I started off with smothering myself with ‘Johnson’s Holiday Skin’ thinking I’d get an instant tan, nope, just a body of streaky orangeness!! I’ve since tried a lot of different tans and formulas including Lotions, Sprays and Graduals, but now I think I’ve found the product that works best for me and that’s ‘St Tropez Tanning Mousse’ applied with a Tanning Mitt. Mousses are the easiest to use and with most you can see where you’ve applied it, like a sort of guide. I use the ‘Dark’ mousse as I find this is perfect on my skin, I look tanned whereas the ‘Classic’ is more of a sunkissed look.
Products I Use
- Superdrug Vitamin E Sugar and Oil Body Scrub
- Exfoliating Gloves
- Any Moisturiser I’m currently loving
- St Tropez Dark Tanning Mousse
- Tanning Mitt
- Self Tan Back Applicator
- Fluffy Bronzing Brush
- St Tropez Tan Remover Glove
Prepping your skin before application is REALLY important for a flawless tan. I’d recommend these steps before applying and tanning product.
- Exfoliate! So important. My favourite is Superdrug Vitamin E Sugar and Oil Body Scrub with exfoliating gloves. It’s a big pot so last a while, it’s quite grainy so really scrubs away any dry skin.
- Shave the day before (I epilate so I do this as and when) If you shave just before tanning you are likely to get tan settling in your pores.
- Do not moisturise! ONLY your elbows, knees, ankles and knuckles. These areas tend to be drier so tan clings and can appear darker than the rest of the body when its developed. Moisturising before tanning creates a barrier so tan won’t develop as well.
I always tan before I go to bed, I don’t like tanning then getting dressed for the day as I find my clothes get covered in tan and also I look a bit muddy, also I find that letting it develop over night I get a really nice even tan with no clothes marks.
- Use a tanning mitt, they save your hands getting stained and application is so much easier. You can get them for about £2 and you can reuse them several times but I’d wash it in between uses.
- I start from my legs and work my way up (Just preference)
- Apply in a sweeping motion rather than rubbing.
- Leave hands and feet until last and use left over tan on mitt brushing lightly so you don’t get really dark patches.
- Use a fluffy brush to go over feet and hands after so it distributes the tan evenly
- Keep fingers straight so tan doesn’t go into knuckle cracks
- I use a back mitt to get that little area you can never reach (no more “Can you do my back?”)
- Wear loose clothing to bed
Next morning I wake up and look VERY dark, my sheets are a little discoloured, the reality. But fear not, it washes out absolutely fine. I jump in the shower and all the excess washes away leaving a beautiful non streaky, even tan. No orange tinge, no patches, no discoloured palms! However if you do have any slightly darker patches you can use a Tan Remover Mitt.
Next is really important to prolong your tan, moisturise! Moisturise after every shower and your tan will fade gradually without patching. I used to hate when it would fade on the inner arm crease with previous tanning products. I don’t get this with St Tropez Mousse. Typically I’ll reapply my tan every 2 weeks.
If you need to remove your tan before it’s faded, I use the ‘St Tropez Tan Remover Mitt’, I find this removes the tan better than exfoliating gloves as it’s finer so gets into the little fine lines better. After this step I would exfoliate and start the process again.
Hope this helps any of you who want to tan but worry about looking orange or streaky. It’s taken me a while to find a product that I feel confident in and if you use it I hope you feel the same.
Have the best day! 18 days until Christmas!!! 🎅🏽🎄🎁
*All opinions are my own and I am not sponsored by any of the above brands